Thursday 4 September 2008

Day Twenty-Two: 11 April 2008

I managed to sleep pretty well - again waking up pretty early, 6ish.  Hung about a bit, we were going to elave for Jagadrhi at 9am, getting there for lunch then heading home.  I was expecting to get back around 4pm.

However, there was a manic search for an item of clothing that had to be returned to Cheren.  It took a good 45 minutes to find it, so we didn't end up leaving until 9.40, after a breakfast of omellete and chapatee.  My stomach wasn't doing so good.  I used an Indian toilet for the first time last night, and again this morning.  They are rather unnerving things, you feel like you are going to fall into them!

So we were on the road for an hour and a half before we got to Ambala - where Ashok's parents-in-law lived.  We made an unscheduled (at least to me!) stop.  Whilst there Ashok went off with his father-in-law telling me he'd be half an hour.  He was an hour and a half... so there's me sitting in a strange Indian's home, having been left by the only person I know!  But he did return, and all was fine.

From there we went onto Cheren's.  Arrived at 2.45pm, and was then told we'd stay until 4.30pm!  Certainly not the way I'd have travelled, I'd ahve calculated we could have arrived home at least eight hours earlier then we were going to!  But I am the guest, and these Indian's know what they're doing.  So as Ashok and Cheren slept, I read the Bible.  

We ended up leaving at 4.40pm, and it was a bit cooler which made travelling quite nice.  In total during my time in India I have spent about 20 hours on the back of a motorcycle - having never done so before in my life!

The only eventful thing on this trip was a puncture!  But thankfully we were at that point travelling through a town, and actually only ten feet away from a guy who fixed punctures for a living.  So 45 minutes, a couple of bottles of fanta, and a new tyre inner later and we were off again.  We finally made it home at about 8.45 pm.  Nice.

Then I took Sam, Margaret and Keren out for dinner.  We went to Kumar's food. It was nice, a meal for the four of us (with left overs) cost under a tenner!  Conversation strained sometimes but it was okay tonight.  

Came home and time for bed.  Quite a trip!  Glad I went, equally glad it's over.  And home on monday!

No comments: