Thursday 4 September 2008

Day Twenty-One: 10 April 2008

Woke up around 6ish, dozed until 7am.  Sleep was okay, disturbed by heat and the electricity going on and off (which meant the fan kept turning on and off throughout the night).

Was greeted with chai.  Very slowly getting used to it... very slowly.  Then just kind of pottered about for a bit - attempted some kind of a wash, but it wasn't much.  Had a breakfast of egg something or other, was quite nice.  At about 9.30 we went to the school they had for gipsy kids.  They are all eager to learn, all wanted to show me their workbooks.  I told them the story of Daniel and the Lions Den.  Not sure if it went down all that well - Cheren seemed to be more forceful with them than I was.  Probably cultural.  They have been running the school for a year and already they have about 60 kids.  All the kids are gipsys, living in the slums in Jagadrhi, Haryana.   They're doing a good work.

Ashuk and I then travelled three hours to Punjab.  We stayed at his family home.  They were very hospitable and really enjoyed seeing me.  We had lunch there and then went onto an dedication service I was speaking at.

It was a very remote place - fields of wheat as far as the eye can see.  Felt like I was in the 'Motorcycle Diaries'.  Got there and it was just a few huts basically - a few small rooms (I was rather glad we weren't spending the night there!). Again, they were very nice people, very hospitable.  Meeting was interesting, sang a lot of songs.  I spoke, it didn't go down so well I don't think, but again, you can never really tell.  Only hope God may use what I said for his purposes.  Then we prayed for a girl with chicken pox (Ashuk prayed).  Then I prayed for a babu called Amos.  So... I came to India and dedicated my first baby!  Couldn't have predicated that. 

We stayed a little longer, they had some traditional Punjabi musicians, a few people danced.  They tried to get me to dance, but it didn't happen.

And with that we left and went back to Ashuk's family.  There was lots of waiting around.  Within five hours the only thing we had really done was eat.  And eating was an experience!  Bone and fat was all it was.  But somehow I managed...!  Note to self:  Don't ever complain about college food again.  We English really don't know how good we've got it.

Had an interesting conversation (via Ashok) with Ashok's brother-in-law.  He wanted to ask me lots of questions but language prohibited him (and me).  Lots of questions about Britain's occupation of India, did I agree with it ot not, that kind of thing.  If I ever come back to India he wants me to visit his village. 

Interestingly they use the word 'expired' when talking about when their father died.  "He expired in 1982" - interesting phraseology.  And with that it was time for bed.  Didn't think I'd be able to sleep - the heat was that intense.  And my arms were red raw with sun burn!

No comments: