Wednesday 3 September 2008

Day Fifteen: 4 April 2008

Just got back from visiting the villages with Ashuk - was incredible!  We went to seven places (as far as I remember), they were:
1.  ?! For the life of me I can't remember the first place!
2.  A Green house, where a girl was teaching some sewing.
3.  School
4.  In Raipur - an odd house.
5.  Amazing place where a girl of 20/21 was looking after her family.
6.  Up to see a couple, the man of 70 had a broken hip.
7.  A place where the daughter was studying for a BA in Hindi, Sociology and Political Science.

From the second place you could see the most amazing views.  An absolutely idyllic place.  If I could move my 'world' somewhere it would be here.  A girl there was a teacher, teaching other girls to sew and such like.  

The school was interesting, all the kids stared at me.  And no wonder, a strange white ma interrupting their assembly.  This was where they had a medical camp back in January, and gave the kids some sweaters.

Then we went to have lunch in a Tibetan place - dark and dingy.  Had momo chicken and chow mein - was really nice.

Then we went to into Raipur and visited some of Ashuk's friends.  A bit odd, but this was where they had a camp or taught sewing or something - I got a little confused here.

Then we went to the other side of DehraDun, into the mountains on the other side.  We stopped first at the home of a woman only 21 years old - she was looking after the home, her sister and two younger brothers because both of her parents had died.  She had the most deep set, sorrowful, hopeful eyes I've ever seen.  Yet she had the most joyful smile when we came in, she was truly grateful of the visit.  She was the only person in India that seemed genuinely excited and interested at meeting me - though this was spoilt by my own lack of Hindi and her lack of English.  A shame, I would have loved to hear her story and her experiences.  This was probably the visit I enjoyed the most.  I doubt I'll ever see this girl again.  I must pray for her.

Then we walked up a little farther to the home of an old couple.  The man was 70 years old, and had recently broken his hip - so was looking very cold and ill in bed.

Then we popped back down to pick up Ashuk's bag - then went into a village where we spoke to a lady whose daughter was doing a BA in Hindi, Sociology and Political Science, sounds exciting!  They run a youth group, and this lady's kids are involved.

Then we got back on the motorbike and rode home through the mountains and forrests - incredible scenes.

Every place offered my chai...I had about four cups!  Managed to decline two cups...one of which I think was a mistake.  I should accept hospitality.  They value it far higher there than we do here.  Chai is horrible.  Sickly sweet, every time getting sweeter!  I look forward to some real coffee at home.  But should I go again, I will aim not to reject anything.

Interestingly, no matter how poor these villagers were, they all had TV's.  Certainly something I did not expect.  Most had DVD players too.  

Back home Sam got me burning DVD's for the women's meeting tomorrow.  He wanted 40 done, it took 3 hours.  Had a break to go for dinner with Ravi and the three other Aussies.  Dinner was really nice, 'My Wife's Place' was the restaurant.  Had the best chicken I've ever had here - Black pepper chicken.  Was lovely.  We then went back to their hotel room for coffee.  I was asked my favourite thing about India - I could only think of the mountains and the views!  I was ridiculed somewhat, claims that that is not India, only DehraDun.  But then, DehraDun is my experience of India.  To be honest, i have found it tough here.  Though I imagine should I ever come again I will enjoy it more - purely from familiarity.

Got back at 11.30pm and finished the DVD's.  I was thanked when i finished.  And now I'm shattered... absolutely shattered. 

No comments: