Sunday 29 June 2008

The Journey - pt. Two: 21 March 2008

Arrived in Delhi and all was fine - got through security and immigration, changed money over, picked up bag...nice.

A lesson on looking for the person who is picking you up:  Read ALL the signs.

I spent a good half an hour praying/worrying outside Delhi airport, my mind racing to all sorts of absurdities, because I don't see anyone to collect me!

In one last attempt I decide all the names on the signs, even the ones inside the airport (where I was informed he would NOT be).  And there he was, inside looking dead bored waiting! Fervent panic prayers turn to joyful thanks!

Thus commenced the 5 and a half hour journey to DehraDun.  Not as bad as many had made out, I slept (ish) for about two hours.  We stopped off for tea - very hot and sweet.  I also walked in on a young boy going to the loo - good start to getting to know the people in India!

I have just awoken from a few hours sleep having arrived at the Thomas' - Sam and Margaret seem very nice.  I'm living in an 'annex/extension' thing.  

The Indian life is as I expected so far.  The heat, dust, smell, poverty hasn't hit me as it did for many others.  In fact, I feel pretty familiar with it.  I wonder whether Tanzania taught me more than I thought.  The only difference so far is the statues of gods that are dotted around the place, and the increase in the number of Indians (though there were a fair number in Tanzania too!)

No comments: